Friday, November 1, 2013

Video Games Might Not Be the Worst Ever

Last Sunday I listened to a talk given by Debra Lieberman, a PhD and communications researcher at University of California, Santa Barbara, whose area of interest is video games.  This is also my husband’s area of interest, but she gets paid for it.  She presented some incredible data and an opinion of video games that is not frequently championed among pediatricians.  Before I get into what she spoke about, I want to give you a little background on my traumatic perspective with regard to Nintendo.

When I was 8 years old, Santa Claus left a Nintendo Entertainment System under the Christmas tree.  My brothers were five and three.  We could not believe our good fortune.  This was a gift so amazing that none of us had even thought to ask Santa for it!  We took turns, making a rule that you could play until Mario died.  This was a mistake.  It turned out that middle brother could play for an eternity and never die.  Meanwhile, youngest brother and I were upended by shells, burned by lava, or smashed by giant flying bullets mere seconds after starting to play.  Crying, fighting, and an inordinate number of time outs ensued. Three years later, my parents sold the NES at a garage sale for $20.  My brothers and I were appalled.  (Seriously, I am writing about it 22 years later.)  How could they let this priceless source of joy go for such a paltry sum?  For the next decade, video games were banned from our house completely. 

As an adult, I have a little more understanding of things from my parents’ perspective.  I told my husband years ago that I wanted to raise our children without video games.  The man who can play FIFA Soccer (the most boring game with the worst soundtrack) for hours on end, protested.  “How will our kids become great laparoscopic surgeons?”  He cited one of his favorite studies in which video game skill was found to correlate with laparoscopic surgery skill.  I pointed to the addictive nature of gaming, the incessant screen time that I witness with portable video game devices and the way that video games can encroach on more enriching activities, like creative play, reading and family time.

Enter Dr. Lieberman.  She showed pictures of parents, children, and grandparents engaged in video game play and discussed the ways in which these games can be social, intergenerational and confidence building.  We often focus on the educational aspect of games but she stressed behavior modification.  Qualities of video game play that many of us see as negatives – how one can become completely engrossed in a game, the “just one more try” phenomenon – could actually be positives.  Dr.  Lieberman did talk about the physical games that can be used for rehabilitation, physical therapy and physical activity.  But the really astounding data, to me, came from games designed to improve chronic disease management in kids.

The first video game features Bronkie, a “bronchiasaurus” who has asthma.  In addition to fighting adversaries and collecting points and exploring a prehistoric city, Bronkie must also take his daily medications, avoid asthma triggers and answer basic questions about asthma.  Skeptical?  Kids with asthma who played Bronkie on a regular basis had a 40% decrease in sick visits compared to those who did not.  Forty percent!  In 2010 there were 1.8 million emergency room visits with asthma as the primary complaint, costing the US over $50 billion.   

The second game, Packy and Marlon, follows a similar formula.  Two elephants with diabetes must fight of horrific flying rats that have invaded their camp all while taking insulin properly, eating healthy food and answering questions about diabetes.  With this game, Leiberman reported at 77% decrease in urgent and emergent visits.

Thanks to Dr. Leiberman, I now think that video games may have some redeeming properties.  There is a possibility that someday we might have them in our house.  But there will be rules!  They will be used in moderation.  With parental supervision.  And if things spiral out of control I will not hesitate to sell a game console for $20 at a garage sale.

3 comments:

  1. Great post Kate! The negative aspects of (video) games are often stated loudly, beligerently and hyperbolically, while belittling the positive effects. Games can engage creativity, critical thinking, communication and teamwork. Just like any artform or means of expression, it becomes what we ask it to be. Books can be thought provoking and insightful, or merely sensational trash. Games are much the same. If we accept it as a legitimate form of art, entertainment, and expression, we can leverage it to achieve positive results. Kids are going to play games no matter what. Let's get the most out of them,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! I was pretty surprised by the study results. I think the engaging aspect of video games can be pretty powerful. I guess it's like any "new" technology in that we are better off learning how to use it for good than hiding from it. :) I still am not 100% on board. It is going to be a while before we have actual video games in the house.

      Delete
  2. I'm in the market for $20 dollar game consoles.

    ReplyDelete