Monday, November 11, 2013

Is It Too Late To Get the Flu Shot?



February of my intern year in residency I was assigned to the Emergency Department.  The season of respiratory illnesses was in full swing.  Before each shift, I would wade through a packed waiting room.  The air in the ER was buzzing, the rooms were full, and a rack of charts belonging to patients yet to be seen greeted me.  Influenza, respiratory syncytial virus and flu-like illness were diagnoses I made daily.

On a bed in the hallway, a five year old girl sat with her mother.  She had a fever, a runny nose and was generally feeling miserable.  I ran through the usual history taking, narrowing the diagnosis and checking for red flags.  “Did she get her flu shot this year?”  I asked. 

“Oh, we never get a flu shot,” the mother stated, proudly.

We recommend that all kids get one every year,” the words came out automatically at this point in the month.  I felt like a recording.  It is the best way to prevent the flu.”  She did not respond so I finished the history and examined the child.  She had no signs of a bacterial infection and was well hydrated.  I explained that it was most likely a virus and that I recommended checking for the flu.  She had been ill for less than 48 hours so treatment with antiviral medication was a possibility.

The test was positive for influenza A.

I wrote a prescription for tamiflu and explained that antivirals are different than antibiotics.  With antibiotics for an ear infection of strep pharyngitis, you expect to be feeling significantly better in 1 to 2 days.  The antivirals just helped make influenza a little less severe, a little shorter in duration.  “Also,” I told her, “Recent reports have indicated that this year’s strain of influenza A do not seem all that susceptible to tamiflu.  The medicine may only help a little bit.”

“Is she contagious?”  

“Well, yes,” I explained.  The flu is very contagious.  I would keep her home from school until she has not had a fever for a full 24 hours.  Even then, she may still feel pretty crummy.  She will probably be out of school for the rest of the week.”

“Is it too late to get the flu shot?”

“I’m sorry?”  I was a little confused by the question.

“I have three other kids at home.  I don’t want them to get sick too.”
 

No comments:

Post a Comment