Thursday, March 14, 2013

Kid-friendly should not stop at the bathrooms


As a completely biased mother of a potty-training toddler, I am willing to argue that it should start at the bathrooms. 

I had the opportunity to visit a big, newly constructed children's hospital recently. I love children’s hospitals, especially the more recently built. Everything is designed with kids in mind. The entrance is colorful and light-filled. The rooms have accommodations for parents, home work and play. There are novel design features like a giant Rube-Goldberg machine, a movie screen that can be seen from every inpatient room or a hallway that feels like a space-themed maze.  In this particular children’s hospital, the details were just as complete and amusing. 

During my visit, I stepped into the bathroom where I got a visual of what I look like when I visit public bathrooms with my son. A mother stood at the sink with a huge diaper bag over her shoulder and a squirming toddler under her arm. With her free hand she was attempting to apply soap and water to the child's hands while at the same time trying to keep the cuffs of his winter coat dry.  It was not going well. Toddlers and public restrooms are not a good combination. 

Upon entering a public restroom with my son, the first words out of my mouth are, "Don't touch anything."   I see germs everywhere, especially in public restrooms. Maybe it is the amount of gastroenteritis I see at work; maybe I am just a little obsessive. Either way, I impulse-buy hand sanitizer every time I see it in the check-out aisle. 

My son generally responds to my command by double palming the commode. It has been a while since I came into contact with a toilet that came up to my ribs, but I am starting to wonder if that is just the body's natural reaction when faced with a potty of such astounding height.  On a good day, the bathroom exploring ends there. On a bad day, he grabs the handrail, crawls on the floor and tries to pick up the cleaner contraption under the rim. Oh, the germs…

As we wrap up our potty trip with him under my arm, trying to wash four hands without injury or recontamination, I am frequently uncertain how much, if any, soap comes into contact with his fingers.  Hand sanitizer usually follows for good measure but it does not kill all fecal-orally transmitted organisms. 

Contrast this with our last trip to Target and a visit the family restroom.  In addition to the traditional bathroom accommodations, there was a sink and a potty that came up to my knees. They were perfect for a potty trainer. Hand washing was not a breeze (he is only two and a half) but it was significantly better.  It was the easiest public bathroom trip ever. 

I do not think every bathroom should have toddler facilities.  But if you are trying to be kid friendly, little sinks, little potties and automatic soap, water and paper towel dispensers are details that should not be overlooked.  At the very least, maybe a little step stool to assist the under four feet crowd in accessing the facilities.  This is especially true if you are, say, maybe, a children's hospital and you are trying to promote effective hand washing. Providing user-friendly equipment is key. 

Also, Target, keep up the good work. You can count on me to keep shopping.  Keep your check-out aisles stocked.  I will be picking up a bottle of hand sanitizer with every trip. 

2 comments: