Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month


October is Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness month.  This is an issue that is dear to my heart.  On January 6, 2012 my daughter Anne was born still.

There are two things that I hope more people can be aware of:
  1. That even in 2013 miscarriage and still birth are not uncommon.  1 in 4 women will experience this kind of loss.
  2. That this is not something to be brushed aside.  For many, no matter when the loss occurs, this is a son or daughter who is treasured and deeply loved.  The loss is devastating and there is a grief that must be observed.


From awareness, I hope to see the following changes:
  1. That the families who experience this kind of loss are better supported.  We were blessed to have a strong support system.  Prior to my own experience, I did not know how to support my friends who suffered similar losses. I wish I could have been a better friend. I do not believe that I am alone in wanting to support those I care about in difficult times.
  2. That through awareness there is more support for research.  We had an autopsy, a chromosome analysis and spoke with multiple experts.  To this day we do not know why our daughter died.  Sadly, this is the case for many families.  It is my great hope that there will be more research in this field.

Last year, I participated in the CarlyMarie Project Heal 31 day photo challenge in honor of my daughter.  It was simply amazing.  The process itself was therapeutic.  There were aspects of my own grief that I was able to face and work through.  I shared the process on my Facebook page and was able to connect with a number of amazing friends who had traveled similar paths.  Moreover, 2,000 other people from around the world participated.  Seeing so many stories of love was absolutely incredible.

Project Heal is sponsoring the photo challenge again this year. I will be participating in a few days.  For multiple reasons, I have chosen not to do all 31.  Keep an eye on my blog for updates this month.  For truly beautiful photography and an uplifting perspective on grief, visit CarlyMarie Project Heal.


Day 1 Sunrise

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dr. Katie,

    Your friend Dr. Kimberly Smith suggested I visit your October Blogs and I am so glad I did. My husband, Kelvin, and I loss our son at 5 months and after going through labor all night I was also bombarded with many questions that I was not prepared to answer. Hunter Stevin Brown entered this world and traveled straight to Heaven on 8/11/13. I have pictures, handprints, footprints, and a scrapbook to commemorate how much he means to me. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete